Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Wednesday 16th Oct- 8:15AM Skype- How Does This Relate?


This morning was my first group Skype session which was not specifically One Module focused but rather a chance for all Module Participants to communicate and develop ideas. That being said there were a lot of Module One participants in comparison to others.

The Skype session was really useful and I think came at a perfect time for me in that I have made some progress towards Module One, but was beginning to return to that 'Lost' feeling... Which it appeared almost EVERYONE was feeling (Slightly re-assuring)

The themes or topics covered were:


Module one = Theories/Lenses, Practice, Ethics
Mapping 
    1. Colour coding
    2. Cards to categorize
    3. Using main headings or repeated words to connect and find literature
How to find literature
Deciphering relevant information
Relating everything back to you and your practice 
Viewing ideas from other perspectives
Justifying your content
Many of these topics were just toughed on and many overlap.

I think for myself I like the idea of colour coding the mapping process as right now I am at a point where I just have a long list of words and am really struggling with how to relate them so breaking it into the visual colour coded sections may help me find a level of structure that is currently missing.

During the session someone said that in order to help then decipher relevance they constantly ask themselves "HOW DOES THIS RELATE?" which I think is an excellent way of noticing or preventing 'Going down the rabbit hole'- another quote from the session, by which they meant going too far with the research to the point that you can no longer see its relevance. However also discussed was that everything will probably have some kind of relevance to you, it’s just you don't know at what point you will realize it. But in terms of this course or this module, trying to find the current relevance is probably best.

The final thing I want to expand on was the idea of being able to see things from other perspectives. Many people said they hadn't considered things from another perspective but I actually find these blogs really useful in viewing things from alternative perspectives. I personally find that the informal, chatty nature of the blogs allows you to throw in opposing questions or arguments and theoreticize, (which is one of the bits I enjoy most) but the next step for me would be to find supporting literature for the opposing perspective rather than just leave it as an open question or theory.

Not quite so relevant to the Skype, as I did not discuss this, but this week I engaged in writing a letter to an agent. In this letter my key objective was to demonstrate pro-activeness within my practice as I know this is what appeals to this specific agent. Throughout the letter I ended up basically breaking down my past year of experience into-

1. Performance 
2. Financial Stability
3. Professional Development 
I was just wondering if anyone else views their practice under these categories or even if you would consider all of the categories to be part of 'your practice'... For me I felt I had to demonstrate ability; so, a CV/ performance information was key for that. All of my additional income I feel relates to the industry in some way e.g. gym instructor, but it was key to show that I have funds or means of getting to auditions and to try and build upon skills, which is why I included financial stability. And professional development included this course and gaining a full driver’s licence which I just feel may be useful skills either immediately or in the future. But some may say this is not part of your 'Practice'?



Anyway, yes, overall the Skype was a very useful discussion that has given me a few ideas as to how to progress again and if anyone has any thoughts or expansions on this I'd love to hear?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Lorien! I was not able to attend the Skype session the other day like I had planned to, so it has been helpful to read this blog post of yours. I am on module 1, and many of us do feel slightly lost! I am currently trying to do wider research into those cited in the handbook, blog and read others and complete the suggested tasks at the end of the handbook. "HOW DOES THIS RELATE" I agree is a great method of keeping on track, and not getting carried away with irrelevant research. Module 1 is all about establishing our practice, so I try to keep asking myself "What is my practice?". I believe perspective is partly linked with empathy, the ability to feel and think like someone else. It is a good way to practice reflective thoughts, and sustain an open-mind by seeing another's point of view. I do not have an agent, but your three points are interesting. I am in the corps de ballet of Vienna Festival Ballet, so performance is vital. The demand to perform well 8 shows a week is tough. Having a good CV, including work experience especially, is important when job hunting for dance contracts. I wouldn't include financial stability, but I understand the others sectors of your life that contribute to who you are and what your practice is. For example, I am also a violinist and do Yoga in my spare time which is indirectly apart of my practice. However, I wouldn't state it as financial stability. Unfortunately, I can't drive! For professional development, I would say the course itself benefits this (critical thinking, journal writing, wider research, self-reflection). All the resources from BAPP are contributing to my professional development, as I think deeper about my practice.

    My blog is: serinafaull.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Serina, thanks for this reply. It was great to hear a little more about yourself. and I very much appreciate your opinion. Does your violin playing allow you to access more job opportunities? I play the saxophone and am employed as a actor musician this upcoming Christmas so I would say playing ability is definitely part of your practice but I can see how this could be different for each individual.

      Ill have a look over your blog shortly and hope to read more about your experiences.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lorien. I too was part of the morning skype call and your thoughts are very reflective upon what was a very useful discussion! I also have that 'lost' feeling, convinced that I'm behind and pretty clueless but I suppose that is only natural with self directed work without much feedback? I keep having to remind myself that this is for my own benefit in furthering my practice, and as Selina mentioned, I must keep bringing it all back to that central point. The 'rabbit hole' you recollected on is something I can relate to, especially with all the theory involved but talking about how questioning relevance can refine ideas was very helpful. I've just posted a blog about the topic:
    https://sophiebapp.blogspot.com/2019/10/a-very-relevant-skype-discussion.html

    Additionally, refering to the categorisation of your CV that sounds like a very logical way to approach it. I think this course has highlighted to me how my practice isn't so segregated in its elements. Where'as before I thought I was a dance teacher, who did 'some other stuff on the side'I can now see that it all connects in skill set and development. I'd never really thought about including the ability to drive under the umbrella, but equally being able to do so has been vital in work opportunities. It sounds like you're really committed to what you do, and I wish you the best of luck with the agent submission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sophie,

      Lovely to hear from you and I will definitely get to your blog soon.. It's been a hectic week! Its so hard because I feel the essay needs a concise description of 'your practice' but there are so many more areas that do directly or indirectly contribute and to know where that borde is is hard. I think im going to try going down the route of... My practice is as an Actor/ Actor musician but what I practice is... (insert long list!) so then can have the defined 'what im employed as' vs what i do to keep going, if that makes sense?

      Thank-you for your kind words they were lovely to read.I still feel lost but maybe in a slightly different way haha.

      Delete
  3. I wasn't able to attend the session but this has helped me to get thinking about different things mentioned in the session. I really like your way of categorising your experience and practise, I might try and find my own way fo doing something similar, here is how I would use your categories, as a dancer that works in seasons I see Performance as my main area of practice and what I want to be doing most, Financial stability as the jobs I do in the off season which enable me to forfeit my main practice and professional development as what I do to progress my practice enabling me to progress my career. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hii William,

      Thanks for reading and responding. It's nice to find someone else who views financial stability as part of their practice. Of course performance is the area we want to be engaged in the majority of the time but I feel without having some kind of supporting income I would not be able to continue with performance at the minute as contracts are short term and then you have to begin the expensive auditioning process again, and professional development is also a costly business. I would love to not need to include financial stability haha

      Delete
  4. I am on Module 2 at the moment and engaging in a lot of literature and research into my inquiry proposal. I find the question "Is this relevant" keeps coming around, but in some way every bit of literature I read somehow can relate back to my practice and my inquiry. It's all about reflecting upon what I am reading. It interesting to find literature that opposes my own point of view relating to my inquiry topic as it gives some perspective. Good luck on your Module 1 journey and know that falling down a rabbit hole may not be the worst thing to happen, as it may lead you to discovering something related to your practice that you had not thought of before.

    ReplyDelete

Transitioning Into the Unknown

So what's next? Honestly I have spent the majority of January feeling completely lost and wondering what to do. I have completed a 50 mi...