Monday, February 3, 2020

Starting Module Two

It's been a long time since I've blogged. Did anyone else find that they simply didn't have time to complete the assessment criteria and blog at the same time!? I would just get too absorbed in my blogs and then all of a sudden the day is over. I do think a massive part of this is due to not knowing what direction I was going in so using the blogs to feel like I was making some form of progression.

Anyway... Somehow through a maze of not knowing what an earth I was doing, I managed to hand something in for Module 1 and have provisionally passed. Feels like a massive achievement in itself although i'm still dreading the actual grade.

Module 2-

1) Keep Blogs Shorter
2) Interact more
3) Don't procrastinate

These are my three starting targets.

Having read the handbook multiple times already I have to say I feel I understand the concept of this module much better. YAY! ..However actually doing it and correct seems as daunting and 'new' as Module One all over again... Que 3 months of stress, tears, not enough time and  endless research.... But achievement, hopefully, at the end... If you hadn't already realised, I am a bit of a pessimist!

I am concerned that I haven't yet chosen my inquiry topic and time waits for no-one, but I have begun reading some of the suggested books from the reading list... and some are proving really helpful in breaking the module down into much smaller chunks and explaining the process of creating an inquiry.


I have a couple of ideas batting around but I'm concerned that I can see how a couple of topics could potentially cause offense. Is this a reason not to choose that one? For example research on race within castings. Inspired by watching the BAFTAs and the controversy about diversity.

Also I'm not entirely sure- My first go to when reading the handbook was 'What will help me improve my practice' and i simply thought if I could nail pirouettes and leaps consistently in dance auditions I would get further.... but this seems far to basic to be an inquiry topic, but I know i'm right in saying this is an area that I need to improve on?

What subjects are others of you looking into. There's a lot of teachers on the course so I imagine there will be some interesting thoughts on the way teaching is used/approached?

6 comments:

  1. Hey Lorien, it was great to hear from you in the Skype session this morning. I think it's very interesting that some of the topics you are looking at "may cause offence". I think that 'taboo' topics are often ones that need to be spoken about and brought to life more. And I'm sure there is plenty of literature about diversity (or perhaps, lack thereof) to aid you in this topic. Whilst I encourage you to follow these "little wanders" you have; I think it is also important to remember what Adesola mentioned this morning about how the topic relates to your practice. Keep going and I look forward to seeing where your journey takes you and what topic you will end up with! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cath, Thanks for this reply. I still haven't decided on my inquiry topic, stresssss! but your right the reason for this is the questioning of how it relates to my practice but I have also realized that I am not doing my inquiry yet just planning it so I think if I trust this I will get there. I hope your module three is going well!?

      Delete
  2. Hi Lorien, I feel exactly the same - reading your post was like reading my own thoughts! At the end of the last module I definitely tapped out of posting because I couldn't get my head round everything all at once! I empathise with the grade-related dread - it's silly isn't it, as though you know you've 'ticked all the boxes', there's still a terrible fear of disappointment! I'm sure you will have a mark to be proud of having read your blogs from last term. I think it's really handy to set out targets for yourself for the module (my own are here ifbarton.blogspot.com/2020/01/and-were-back.html ) to keep yourself on track. I've not chosen an inquiry topic either but I think that writing down all your points of interest and 'wonders' is a great starting point. Maybe you can then try to find things that connect them all. Aspects of your practice which are physically helpful (pirrouettes, leaps) - how can these be explored through research? Are there certain types of training which make people 'better' turners or jumpers? Are the current dance-trends of really in-your-face, trick based dance styles making it more important to be great at turns/leaps? How will dance continue to evolve in the future based on how we are training young dancers now and the climates they are growing up in, with social media, dance programmes on TV, but also a better understanding of how to work with a body and not force it into a mould?
    Thanks for such an honest post! Hopefully speak to you in a skype soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hii Ione, This is such a helpful comment so thankyou so much. My heads still all over the place in terms of actually settling on a topic which is quite stressful but the points you've raised here are really something to think about. How is your module going? have you made any desicions on topics yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely on the same wavelength as you. I felt that during & the first module submission I got quiet on my blog and had to take some time to breathe (especially after working/performing through the festive season!). I’m very interested to see what you end up discussing in the coming weeks based on your inquiry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely on the same wavelength as you. I felt that during & the first module submission I got quiet on my blog and had to take some time to breathe (especially after working/performing through the festive season!). I’m very interested to see what you end up discussing in the coming weeks based on your inquiry!

    ReplyDelete

Transitioning Into the Unknown

So what's next? Honestly I have spent the majority of January feeling completely lost and wondering what to do. I have completed a 50 mi...